Sunday, August 15, 2010

Storecipe of the Week: Grandma Shirley's Cuckoo Cookies

There is something about marshmallows that just remind me of my delicious childhood.  I used to love going to the grocery store with my mom.  She would push me down the cookie aisle and I would want every kind of cookie I could get my hands on.  She would always let me open one package and let me sneak a cookie before we got home.  It was our little secret!  Two of my favorite kinds of cookies where the Nabisco Mallomars and Pinwheels chocolate marshmallow cookies.  I loved how the outside chocolate was hard and dark while the inside was filled was fluffy, soft and gooey marshmallows.
More delicious seasonal indicator than Punxatawney Phil.



Regardless if you like s'mores, Peeps marshmallow bunnies for Easter, or Nabisco Pinwheels chocolate and marshmallow cookies, everyone loves marshmallows in something, if not everything!  When I received this lovely story about a girl's grandma's cookies that contained marshmallows, I just melted.  Marshmallows make me giddy and have a way of making heartache in the world go away; they are just a happy food!  With that being said, I present to you Grandma Shirley's Cuckoo Cookies, submitted by Taylor Kutchin from Chicago, Illinois.

Story:
When I hear the word “Cuckoo”, I often think of something or someone as being “crazy” or “nuts”. So why call a cookie cuckoo? I’ll never know for sure. But what I do know for sure is that my Grandma Shirley liked to make these cookies, and she was anything but cuckoo. She had so many fine qualities that made being around her a real treat. She was comforting and sweet, just like her cookies. She was completely devoted to those she loved. She was “one of a kind” and truly had a heart of gold. 

My fondest memories of Grandma Shirley often involve food, but more importantly, the food she prepared always brought the family together. I can still taste the yummy homemade tuna fish sandwiches she’d make for lunch for my cousins, siblings and I when we went to her house for a Saturday visit. I miss the magic of her big holiday dinners where sweet and sour meatballs, chicken noodle soup, and of course, cuckoo cookies could always be found. Indeed, she loved to bake and cook and above all, she loved to cook for her family. Bringing everyone together was important to her and it was through her strength, generosity, and kindness that we connected time after time to share, laugh, and of course, eat. Though she is no longer here, her spirit and memory live on in the family, which continues to grow and also stay close. 

When we share stories about Grandma Shirley, her recipes often come up and preserving and continuing to prepare the delicious things she made is one way to pay homage to the incredible Grandmother she was. I will continue to make her recipes and more importantly, stay close to family. And years from now at a family gathering where cuckoo cookies have made their way into new family member’s mouths and hearts, I will always think of Grandma Shirley.

Thoughts:
Dry Mix
1 ¾ C. sifted flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ C. cocoa






Other Ingredients
½ C. chop walnuts
½ C. shortening or butter
1 C. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 C. milk
Halved large marshmallows

Cocoa Glaze:
½ C. cocoa
1 ½ C. powder sugar
3 T. hot water
1/3 C. melted butter


Putting the Memory Together:
Combine the Dry Mix ingredients and set to the side. Cream shortening or butter in an electric mixer or mixing bowl. Add sugar, egg, and vanilla. Then add the dry mix alternating with the milk. Beat until smooth. Add nuts.




Drop a rounded Tablespoon of mixture onto greased cooking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. 

Remove and press a ½ half marshmallow into center of each cookie and bake 2 more minutes.




Mix glaze ingredients together in saucepan over medium/low heat.  








When in sauce form, drizzle on top of each marshmallow cookie.





Refrigerate for 5 minutes. Makes 2 dozen cookies.  Enjoy!



These cookies bring back the taste and fond memories of going to the grocery store with my mom as a child.  They are a homemade version of Pinwheels!  Thanks to Taylor for sharing this very special and delicious recipe!


1 comment:

  1. What great pics!!! The cookies look great and I bet tasted as good as I remember. Taylor's Aunt Lesley
    Also I know your Uncle Gary.. Good luck with the book. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete