Monday, August 2, 2010

Aunt Bernice's Fudge

Today is my first blog on a storecipe of the week! I have chosen Barbara Lawrence from Orlando, Florida to be the submission of the week. I love fudge, especially in the summers! I used to go to over night camp in Eagle River, Wisconsin and we would get to go into town for a treat only once every 2 weeks. I always went straight to Tremblay's Sweet Shop (www.tremblaysweetshop.com). They had the best homemade fudge that you could smell from a mile away and I just ate it up! Whenever I smell or taste fudge today, I think of my childhood. Here is Barbara's favorite story about fudge along with her Aunt Bernice's Recipe. I made it below for you to see. Enjoy!

FUDGE......Ahhhhhhthe memories! My Aunt Bernice, or affectionately called Auntie B-C, made the creamiest, most mouth watering, absolutely fantastic fudge that I have ever tasted in my entire life time. So good, in fact, that when we got the call that fudge was ready, my cousin Bud and I would always fight over who got the largest package to take home! The laughs were contagious and sometimes it was more a show of fighting to get my aunt and uncle laughing too. Auntie B-C measured and re-measured everything, then she got my uncle to stir, and stir and stir and stir. She didn't want a single granule of sugar undissolved. And when it came to cutting it into squares, she had my uncle use a ruler so it always looked perfect. But who spent time looking at it? Not me! My memories of this wonderful confectionery date back to the 50's and now my daughter makes this magical tasty treat and I do the cutting! And, I don't have to fight with my cousin over who has the most! He makes it himself too!

The Thoughts:
4 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/3 stick butter
12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
18 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
7 oz. jar Marshmellow Creme
2 cups chopped nuts (optional)

Putting the Memory Together:
Line a 13x9 pan w/ wax paper, extending the ends about 6". Generously butter and set aside. In a large pot with a heavy bottom, mix the butter, sugar, milk and vanilla. Bring to a full boil. Reduce heat and stir constantly, cook for 10 minutes (DO NOT LET IT SCORCH!) Remove from heat. Add chocolate chips to sugar mixture. Stir until melted. (DO NOT turn heat on) Add Marshmellow Creme and stir until melted. (DO NOT turn heat on) In the same pot, use an electric mixer and whip for 10 plus minutes (DO NOT turn heat on). Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. At this time, you can add nuts to fudge before putting in the refrigerator. To serve, turn pan upside down onto a cutting board surface and remove wax paper. Cut into 1" squares. (Hint: keep dipping sharp knife into a glass of ice water) If fudge gets too warm, it will not cut well. Refrigerate and continue to cut after it hardens again. Place one or two cut pieces of fudge in individual small paper holders for storage and to serve.
The Ingrediants

The Sugar Mixture beginning to boil

Whip the sugar mixture, chocolate chips, and marshmallows

Putting it in the refrigerator for 6 hours

The Finished Product... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment